Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Yeah, Mommy!"

Her eyes shone as she said, "You looked like a champion -- like one of those women on t.v."  Her little sister chimed in and said, "You looked like a shooting star!"  To what do I owe these accolades?  Mommy is taking gymnastics!  

There is nothing like doing a tuck somersault into a foam pit, emerging and hearing, "Yeah, mommy!"  My girls are young enough to think this is really cool, not totally embarrassing (I can just hear it in a few years - mom, really, do you have to do everything I do???)

I would have never dreamed I would be doing this - cartwheels, seat drops, learning flips.  In my mind, I am not athletic.  I swam as a kid -- lifeguard, swim team, etc.  But that was pretty much it.  I can remember some ill-fated gymnastics class at the YMCA when I was little.  It seemed like everyone else could touch their nose to their knees or do a handstand.  Not me.  But now, at 38, every Wednesday night, I leave the kids with my mom or husband and literally take off (on the trampoline).  

I did it because of the coach.  My girls attend a small start-up gym owned by an amazing coach.  She is always upbeat and can break everything down so much that the kids learn amazing things without being overwhelmed or frustrated.  "Come to my class for parents," Coach said.  I did and now I'm hooked!   This is probably the one thing I am doing just for me and it feels great.

That first night, when she taught me how to do a seat-drop, Coach said  "I knew you'd be able learn this quickly because your kids are so good. "  That gave me pause - I have never thought that I could do anything athletic quickly or easily.  This is redefining my entire self image (and a heck of a lot cheaper than therapy!)    For the past month I have been learning new things, and becoming so much more confident about what I can do physically.  And let me tell you -- jumping on a trampoline is addicting!

Now we'll just see if I'll be able to walk tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment